FAQ about Medical Tourism in India
Que. What is Medical Tourism?
Ans: Medical tourism in India is simply the process of traveling abroad to a specific destination to obtain certain medical procedures. Canadians and Europeans have been traveling outside their regions for years to obtain medical procedures due the long waiting periods associated with socialized medicine. Now they have an opportunity to seek top quality procedures, where they can recover in anonymity and luxury at more affordable rates.
Que. Why should we travel to India over other countries in the world?
Ans: India has tens of thousands of skilled physicians and nurse practitioners, it is Medically advance as compare to other developing countries in the word.. Over the last two decades, the economic boom in India has led to the building of medical facilities & infrastructure that rival the very best that western medical care that the west has to offer. Many of the physicians that practice in these hospitals and clinics have returned (to India) from the U.S. and Europe, leaving behind successful practices.
Currently India receives patients from over 50 countries across the world. Here are some reasons behind its emergence as the preferred healthcare destination:
The cost of medical care in India is very low when compared to that in many western countries.
Que. Is treatment at India is really affordable as compare to other country?
Ans: The potential cost savings for medical tourists are huge and as a result are one of the more important factors in seeking treatment in Mumbai. It is important to note that the cost for each individual will vary depending on their need and requirements. Usually, an elective procedure such as a knee replacement would cost on average of $30,000 in the US. Whereas getting that same procedure done using similar quality parts in Mumbai would cost 40 - 60% less than the cost in the US, including the hospital stay, all procedure and physicians costs and transportation to and from India. The costs compared to UK are similarly lower by about 40 - 60%. This is mainly possible because of favorable currency exchange rates.
Que.: What Medical Services are Available?
Ans: Any -- from the simplest to the most serious life-saving procedures.
This is not to say that all services are available everywhere at uniformly high quality. India, for example, has perhaps the best reputation for heart surgery in the world, alongside the United States. The quality of plastic surgery is renowned in India and sought after internationally.
Que.: Are these costs savings due to lower standards of treatment in India?
Ans: Absolutely not, India has one of the best qualified professionals in each and every field, and this fact is realized the world over. Regarding Medical Facilities India has most competent doctors and world class Medical Facilities
India offers World Class Medical Facilities, comparable with any of the western countries. India has state of the art Hospitals and the best qualified doctors. Indian medical standards match up to the highly prescribed international standards.
The lower costs are mainly due to vast diference in currency conversion rates and lower costs of operating in India.
Que.: How can we get an opinion on our patient’s health status from your doctor?
Ans.:You can email us your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively use the online enquiry form. Wherever possible, please mention complete details of your recent reports. A note from your treating doctor would be very helpful. We shall respond to you within one working day with the appropriate specialist doctor’s opinion including treatment plan, cost estimates, and length of stay in hospital and in India.
Que: Can I speak to the doctor in India before going on my trip?
Ans: Travel India Company will be happy to arrange a phone consultation with the corresponding physician in India and ensure that all of your questions are answered. We provide this as part of our total package, as we want you to be totally comfortable with your decision to go to India for your medical needs. You can also have your doctor consult with our doctors in India.
Que.: I don't know anyone in India. I'm already ill. Then how am I to cope with travel, stay and surgery in India?
Ans.: It's ok if you don't know anybody in India. After all, our Team brings you comprehensive, custom-built schemes for healthcare. This includes the following:
- Offering all support information on
- Your ailment
- Recommended mode of surgery
- The hospital that will perform the surgery
- Costs involved
- We have exclusive affiliate arrangements with leading hospital in India. This means that you can count on special and
personalized attention when you come to India for medical treatment through
- Taking opinion from specialized panel of Experts
Que: Do I require a medical visa for India?
Ans:Yes you will need a visa. It is a mandatory requirement by Indian immigration regulation that persons coming to India for medical treatment should travel on a medical visa and attender should get attender visa. Visa applications for medical treatment are processed on priority by Indian embassies.
Que: What will be procedure to avail the medical VISA?
Ans:For getting the Medical VISA you will need a letter of Invitation from my hospital.
For preparing the Invitation letter we will need a referring letter from your family doctor in Nigeria. The letter should be on doctors letter head and it should contain the date, patient name, reference number, diagnosis, doctors name and doctors address.
Please also send us the passport detail of patients as well as accompanied person...
On the basis of doctors referring letter and your passport detail, we will prepare the Invitation Letter and will send you through e-mail.
You have to carry the Invitation letter as well as Nigerian doctors referring letter and your passport to any of below India High Commission to get the Medical VISA.
Please contact :
- High Commission of India
8-A, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Telephone: 00-234-1-2627680, 2615909
Web : www.hicomindlagos.com
- High Commission of India, (Branch Office)
Plot No. 684 (A&B), Agdez Crescent,
Off Aminu Kano Crescent,
Wuse-II Abuja, Nigeria
Qus: Flight Destination
Ans:Mumbai There are direct flights from Logos to Mumbai so you can conveniently fly Lagos – Dubai – Mumbai . Or Logos- Adisababa - Mumbai.
Que:Do you assist the International Patients with Airport transfers?
Ans: We provide free to and fro transfer facility through AC car or ambulance from Mumbai International Airport to our hospital. We coordinate the transfer on receiving the concerned patient’s travel itinerary. We also help them in their ticket changing and wheelchair arrangement at airport.
Que: What if the visa expires while undergoing treatment at the hospital?
Ans:In case of visa expiry, we will help you with the clinical documents stating the condition of the patient and the need for continuing treatment.
Ans:Normally package differs from patients to patients depend on his/her medical situation and line of treatment.
The main advantage of our treatment package is that it has no hidden cost. Patients don not have to pay any thing beyond the package.
The detail of package s as follows.
- Pick-up and drop Airport.
- Special room accommodation with attached washroom, fridge and separate bed for escort.
- Surgery Charges
- Implant and consumables
- Medicines Charges
- Investigation Charges
- Food for patients and escort.
Package not includes
- Hotel Stay Charges ( If needed 85$ per day)
- Any treatment different to current Diagnosis.
- Non medical product like Commode, Wheelchair, Walker and etc.
- Medicines at the time of discharge
- Any unforeseen expenses due to medical situation.
- Travels and Tours.
- Extra physician / Super specialist Doctor Visit ( If Medical condition demands
- VISA Extension or changes in tickets.
Note: Package term and condition is changes patients to patients. If patients are not coming for surgery them some time we do not include the medicine and investigation charges because we don’t know the patients current condition.
Que:How long would I be in Mumbai before I can return back?
Ans:Its depend on your medical situation and line of treatment.
Que:What about my caregiver’s accommodation?
Ans:Our inpatient rooms have space for complimentary accommodation of one caregiver.
Que:What should be done in case of any preponing or postponing of flight tickets?
Ans:Our International Patient Coordinator will facilitate the ticket booking, and in addition to this, we also have a travel desk in the hospital that can guide you.
Que:What are the payment terms?
Ans:We do not need any upfront payment for making hospital reservations and appointments as well as for making pickup arrangements. As per hospital policy the complete amount will have to be deposited at the time of admission.
Que:How soon can the investigations be scheduled?
Ans:The Investigation will start from the next day of your arrival in the hospital.
Que:Can I will get kitchen to cook my food?
Ans;No, We do not provide kitchen for the patients as per hospital safety protocol.
We provide Nigerian and Indian food for patients.
An Non veg foods like, Chicken, Chicken fried rice, Fish, Chinese foods, soups are very easily available near to hospital.
Que:What additional information do you require from my doctor here?
- Please bring all relevant previous investigation reports.
- Please provide us with your current medication list, if any.
- Please intimate us in advance for your arrival to make necessary arrangements.
- Please carry 5-5 small 2/2 passport Size photographs to avoid delay in immigration.
Que:Any other valuable information after my arrival India.
- You will be receive by Hospital staff and a car from the airport .
- For immigration purpose we will need your passport, ticket and passport size 4 small photographs of each person.
- We will return your ticket and will keep your passport and will return to you at the time of your departure.
- Hospital staff will take you to Foreign Registrar office as per their appointment date.
- The Foreign Register Office (FRO) will issue the Residential Permit; you have to carry that permit while going out of the hospital premises.
- A local Mobile sim card will be provided to you, you can put credit (amount in Rs. ) in that and can use. The sim card should be return at the time of departure.
- In two to three days all the investigation will over and we will get all the report, after anlayising the report we will start the treatment and fix the surgery date.
- You will get all your daily needs items very near to the hospital premises.
- We will help you in changing your currency.
- VISA can be extended from here but will cost you 150$ for one month per passport.
- No Changes can be done in Passport.
- Any accessories which are not in the room and you want, then you have to buy it, our administration department will help.
Que: What is Foreign Registrar Office rule (for the foreigner come to India on medical or Attended VISA.)
- Patients is not allowed to leave the hospital premises till his departure. Attender can go out in emergency with management
- While departure , Please do not take responsibility of any other persons luggage, Your are allowed to carry only that much weight luggage that you carry at the time of your arrival, 5-10 kg difference will be accepted. FRO is taking records of your luggage weight.
- Any prohibited things found in your luggage at the time of immigration at airport then hospital management will not responsible.
- As you have come here on hospitals Invitation letter and Medical Visa, There for you are not allowed to buy anything for business purpose.
- For further any treatment other than your diagnosis please let us know, do not choose doctor of your own, we are not responsible if anything goes wrong.
Que.: Do I have to pay any fees or commissions for your services?
Ans.: We do not charge any fees or commissions from people who want to use the services of our healthcare partners. We get directly paid from the hospitals we are associated with.
Que: What value addition we offer.
- Complimentary Airport pick up and drop.
- Post discharge consultations after you return home (review of scans or X Rays, telephonic consultation, etc. )
- E mail updates to your family doctor and your family.
- Arrangement of African Food.
- Family atmosphere as many of patience are from Africa/ Nigeria
- No Hidden Charges.
- We will be in touch with you even after your discharge, our support never stops….
Que: How is the follow-up planned?
Ans: At the time of discharge, you will be given:
- Detailed summary of the hospitalisation including health problems at the time of admission, examination findings, course during hospitalisation, treatment given and procedures performed.
- Comprehensive advice on discharge, including medications, diet and exercise
- All diagnostic test reports.
- The contact details of the treating doctor will be shared so that you and your medical practitioner can keep in touch with him/her.
Que: Who will be my contact person?
Mr. Kaushal Pandey
Email address: email@example.com